Monday, December 17, 2007

The Season


The kids and I are visiting my folks this week. I completely swore off going anywhere after our move, but my resolve weakened with the arrival of December. My father mentioned snow (which ironically I'm not even that fond of), and the pining began. My third trimester starts with January, so I won't be going anywhere for a while after that. The more I pondered it, the more I decided that we'd come up. I love the feeling in my mom's house. I don't understand why I'm so drawn here, but I love it. Chasing Benjo around is pretty nuts. This place is so not mommy with small kid friendly, but it's home.

We were sad to leave our Christmas tree behind as it was quite the family endeavor this year. We misplaced our sophisticated-looking origami tree in the move, so Ben got a terribly fake 3' tree for ten bucks. We decorated it with some ornaments that I've had tucked away for years. About 12 years ago, Mom decided that I needed the sci-fi ornaments from Hallmark, so Lt. Commander Data, Dr. McCoy, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, C3PO, and R2D2 mill around the olive wood nativity ornament in the center of our tree. I had some wavy gold ribbon from the free bin in Wymount and some tinsel with stars that I removed to place around on the tree. That finished the tree off pretty nicely. Initially, I felt a bit heretical and un-Christ centered for having such a tree - especially when we plugged the lights in and heard Darth say, "The force is strong with you Luke, but you are not a Jedi yet." But, when I started thinking in terms of the Plan of Salvation, the Savior's central roll in that, and the dark/light side world in which we live, it seemed metaphorically a better fit than the the refined, coordinated tree I usually envision. So, we have a hot Star Wars tree.


It's nice to have Internet access again. I've come to see it as a necessity, but our finances have forced me to more carefully distinguish true necessities and luxuries. Our life-imposed visual media fast has forced us to evaluate how we spend our time. We enjoy playing more games, getting more sleep, and reading a little more. It's actually kind of good for me not to have the distraction. My children need me right now more than ever and we're just trying to gear up and brace ourselves for the arrival of the twins. But oh how I've missed Google!!!

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Congratulations on the twins! We are thrilled for you. Are you enjoying the warmth of the South? We hear it is quite warm right now.

LeMira said...

It's good to hear how you are doing again. We completely understand the need to re-evaluate the whole finances thing. We couldn't do without the internet because of Matt's job, but sometimes I wish we had that extra little bit.

I hope that you are adjusting to the move!

Kelly said...

It feels like its been forever since we've heard from you!! I'm glad you are doing well. I can't believe you start your 3rd trimester in January. I guess you did leave us in May though... so its been a while. AND no one has moved into your apt yet! YAY! I hear someone had been paying for it though so I'm sure we'll come back from Christmas in AR to new neighbors in January. ITs good to hear from you. Happy Holidays!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you guys are blogging - I had no idea. I am a huge fan. It's a great way to keep in touch with people. I don't mind your linking our page - I too love it when friends stumble on my page. Happy Holidays.

Whitney said...

I just look at your toddler idol video! It made me so happy! I miss that little girl so much. Thanks for cheering me up on a bad day! Love Ya!

Trisha said...

Sarah...I can't believe you are having twins! It's good to see your blog and catch up on your fast-growing family!

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself and those babies! Shoot us an email when the big day comes...well, after you've had time to catch your breath, that is. :) We're thinking of you guys!

Anonymous said...

We finally got a blog (thanks for the inspiration) and even though I know you don't have internet I still have a link to your page and I will check and watch how the babies are growing. I miss chatting with you!

Sarah said...

We finally started a blog (thanks for the inspiration) and even though I know you don't have internet now I put a link to yours on our blog so I will just keep checking it to see how the babies are growing! I miss chatting with you!