Our computer drowned. It didn't actually come in contact with the flood waters that Maintenance sent into our apartment, but the added humidity was too much for it. It just died.
Bet you all thought it was just another failed attempt at blogging - eh OhhMamma ; ) ? Me too. I wondered if this and other set-backs with previous efforts were just signs that I shouldn't be sending too many thoughts out on the web... Or maybe we're just back to the whole entropy thing! See?! It's out to get me!
To be honest, until I started blogging, I had tons of posts swimming in my head. But now that the forum is in place, the brainwaves don't seem to be. Could it be pregnancy brain? Oh, did I say that? Well, all of you know, I'm an absolutely awful secret keeper... it's easier to live in an open book. I'm not very far along... actually don't know how far yet, but we'll be welcoming Baby #3 in spring! Who'd 'a thunk? I've been asked if we are trying to go for the twin effect (Benjo is 9 months now). I certainly never thought we'd have babies 19 months apart, but then it just started feeling like someone was ready... and we started realizing that we were too. Of course, we feel immensely blessed... and have a healthy dose of nervousness.
One thing that I'm trying to ensure amidst the nausea is that I don't step back on meeting Elisabeth and Benjo's needs. Right now, Benjo is elated if I'll just follow his clapping leads. He just starts spontaneously clapping and is delighted when we pick up on the cue.
Elisabeth is such an amazing person. She's doing really well in our new locale and is settling back into life as a TV-starved child. She is ready for a more structured learning/socialization experience though. Some mothers and I are talking about starting a Joy School group for our children. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has done one (one thing I'm wondering is if anyone has experience in creating your own curriculum based on the principles and categories of the established program). I love the tenants (that kids are sponges and could learn multiplication tables if you taught them -my preschoolers in China with math skills better than mine proved that-, but that the Pre-K time is really the best time to explore and lay a foundation of joy in their lives). I was a bit daunted by the start-up costs until I spoke with my aunt (who knows home-education options backward and forward). She told me that the cost for the closest curriculum of which she is aware starts at $400. Yipes! I guess we'll just see how this goes.
Life here is wonderful. I'm surprised that more people aren't flocking here. Our town is a wonderful mix of elements. We enjoy the perks that typically come with liberal college town atmospheres (incredible gourmet restaurant's, health food stores, art-zy venues, yoga studios, recycling) within a faith-friendly culture. In our prior experience, the two have unfortunately seemed mutually exclusive. There is a very comfortable urban/rural mix as well. The weather is the biggest thing that everyone warned us about, but to be honest, mid-day is devoted to napping in our house, so the kids and I don't really experience the brunt of it. There is tons to do when we do get out though. And, the people are spectacular. Southern life is good.
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
pregnant!? congratulations! i've done a 19-month gap before, let's talk.
we did do a "joy school" in hawaii but we sorta tagged onto a group that was already going and as far as i we never used curriculum and i'm not even very familiar with the basic philosophy of the official joy school. it was more like a rotating play group with an educational bent. april t. might know more but in the meantime i'll be interested to see how things go for you.
btw, this comment will not replace a phone conversation. i just couldn't NOT respond to your news!
From what I've heard from people who've started programs like this, you need to make sure you have some definite ground rules. I knew someone who ended up being the teacher all the time because the other parents flaked out, and yet they still sent their kids to the preschool. Be sure to have consequences for what will happen. Sounds crazy, but adults need boundaries, too.
Good luck, though, I'm excited to hear how it turns out for you!
Okay, I am still trying to figure out where you have moved?? You will have to email me if you don't want to share with the internet. I am so glad that you are back to your blog, but truly sorry that the humidity ate your computer for dinner.
Hey I wanted to congratulate you. Exciting news! Oh, I'll ask my sister in law about her home school program-it's interesting. I'm not sure how much she had to spend.
Hey, Sarah -- congratulations on your move and on your pregnancy; that's terrific!! :-)
I have no experience with Joy School, but that's what I'd love for Logan to do. Kids really ARE sponges; he picks up so much if I take the time to work with him on things!
Just wanted to say hi to you guys. Tell Ben I need someone to play racquetball and golf with. Hope you are doing well, and congrats on the new baby coming.
Ben Arkell
I can't believe you're pregnant! That really is great. I'm glad that you're feeling like it's time for another one. In all reality, I'm jealous....
Paige weaned herself from nursing a month ago...don't think I'm prego though....
Post a Comment